A year from now, on Veterans Day 2018, our country will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the end of the war to end all wars, World War I. Many of our allies in the Great War commemorate the end of the fighting with a holiday. The U.S. first recognized our citizens who served so bravely on November 11, 1918.
As Veterans Day is an important time to recognize the contributions of all American service men and women both living and dead who served in war and peace, let’s take a few moments today and in the months ahead to honor our military veterans.
Our military veterans come from all walks of life—they are parents, children, grandparents, friends, neighbors, coworkers—and are an important part of their communities. Please indulge my love of history:
- 1 million living veterans served during at least one war.
- Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about 558,000 are still alive.
- 2 million veterans served during the Korean War.
- 7 million veterans served during the Vietnam War.
- 5 million veterans served during the Persian Gulf War.
- 6 million veterans served in peacetime
In the year leading up to November 11, 2018, we have tremendous opportunity to do good and to show our gratitude to our family members, friends and neighbors who served honorably in our nation’s military so that we can enjoy the freedom that we share as citizens of this great country.
As corporate citizens, we need to do our part to support the men and women who serve. Through our Veterans Program, Genesis10 helps our service men and women find meaningful careers upon their return to civilian life.
Please join me in recognizing our military veterans.
Founder & CEO, Genesis10